Table of contents
- What are cosmetic braces, and how do they work?
- Advantages of cosmetic braces
- Health benefits of straight teeth
- Home teeth straightening with clear aligners
- The home teeth straightening process
- Why choose Straight My Teeth for home aligners?
- Are at-home cosmetic braces right for me?
Not long ago, if crooked teeth were spoiling your smile, the only solution was conventional braces. Then along came cosmetic braces in the form of clear aligners.
Unlike metal braces, these plastic aligner trays are barely noticeable when worn. This fact has made them a popular alternative to standard braces. But can cosmetic braces straighten teeth as effectively as metal braces?
What are cosmetic braces, and how do they work?
Cosmetic braces straighten teeth that are visible when you smile. The aligners are removable but need to be worn 20 to 22 hours a day to get the best results.
Made from medical-grade polyurethane resin (clear plastic) that’s almost invisible in the mouth, they do away with the wires and brackets of metal braces.
Although clear aligners are more discreet than regular braces, they work along similar lines. So, unless you have a highly complex orthodontic problem, cosmetic braces can straighten your teeth and your smile.
But what can they fix?
Clear aligners can help with less severe cases of crowded teeth, gapped teeth, and bite problems, including:
- Overjet – Upper front teeth pushing outwards (buck teeth).
- Overbite – Upper front teeth excessively overlapping lower teeth.
- Underbite – Lower teeth overlapping upper teeth.
- Crossbite – Upper teeth closing on the inside of lower teeth.
Advantages of cosmetic braces
Cosmetic braces have proved a big hit with adults and teens looking to straighten teeth without the lengthy treatment of conspicuous ‘old-style’ metal braces.
Compared with fixed metal braces, the benefits of removable clear aligners include:
- Comfort – With no awkward wires and clunky brackets, plastic aligners feel more comfortable in the mouth.
- Convenience – Aligners are removed when eating meals and snacks meaning that, unlike metal braces, there is no list of dietary restrictions
- Oral health – Fixed braces make it difficult to keep your teeth clean. The removability of aligners means you can continue to brush and floss as usual.
- Appearance -The plastic material doesn’t draw attention to your orthodontic treatment since its transparency means the aligners are barely visible.
Health benefits of straight teeth
The benefits of cosmetic braces with glint go beyond getting your dream smile. Properly aligned teeth also mean better oral health and general wellbeing.
- Straight teeth are easier to clean, which reduces the risk of plaque and tartar build-up (1) that can cause tooth decay and gum disease.
- Overcrowding or protruding teeth are more likely to break in the event of an accident.
- Misaligned teeth can make it difficult to chew your food properly, leading to digestive issues.
- Crooked teeth can result in psychological problems such as loss of self-esteem.
Home teeth straightening with clear aligners
Home teeth straightening provides a more convenient, less costly alternative to in-clinic orthodontic treatment, which requires regular visits to your dentist. At-home aligners eliminate appointments at a dental practice – a fact that is particularly appealing to individuals with busy schedules.
In the past, many adults have put up with the embarrassment of misaligned teeth because braces cost too much and were highly visible during treatment. While in-practice aligner procedures solve the latter problem, they can be expensive. Fortunately, our clear aligners offer a streamlined, more affordable home teeth straightening system.
The home teeth straightening process
Straightening your teeth at home is a simple, hassle-free, three-step process:
- Request an online assessment to make sure you’re suitable for clear aligner home treatment.
- Receive a kit to take impressions of your mouth. Or you can go for a 3D scan at one of several bricks and mortar locations.
- Custom-made aligners are moulded from your impressions or scan and delivered to your door.
Why choose Straight My Teeth for home aligners?
Faster and cheaper
Straight My Teeth provides a complete home teeth-straightening solution that works much faster than in-clinic treatment while costing far less.
In-practice orthodontic treatment with braces or Invisalign aligners can be expensive. The average cost of metal braces for adults, for instance, is around £2,000 to £3,000. The average price of getting Invisalign treatment is anywhere between £2,000 to £6,000.
Straight My Teeth (SMT) offers one of the most affordable teeth straightening options in the UK – a one-time payment of less than £1199. Or you can choose a monthly payment plan if that’s a better fit for your budget. Two sets of free retainers are included in the price to ensure your teeth remain in their correct position.
Treatment with SMT clear aligners takes four to six months on average. On the other hand, treatment with braces takes one to two years and even longer in more complex cases.
As a more direct comparison, Invisalign treatment generally takes 12 to 18 months.
SMT prioritises patient safety. Our clear aligner treatments are devised and monitored by licensed dentists.
For instance, if you opt for a free 3D scan at one of our Smile Studios, it will be carried out by a dentist registered by the General Dental Council (GDC) (2). They will ensure your ongoing treatment is safe. Moreover, you’ll also be able to see a virtual visualisation of your completed smile in 3D before you begin.
If you don’t like the idea of wearing aligners all day (although no one will notice them), you can opt for our night aligners.
SMT NightOnly clear aligners are designed for convenience by straightening your teeth while you sleep. This leaves you free to enjoy your daytime activities as usual without having to remove aligners whenever you eat or drink.
Are at-home cosmetic braces right for me?
If you have a complex orthodontic problem, traditional braces are likely to offer a more effective solution.
However, if – like some people – you want to straighten teeth for aesthetic reasons, cosmetic braces provide a faster, more convenient, and affordable means to get the smile you’ve always wanted.
Our experienced dentists and smile specialists can help you decide whether our cosmetic dentistry braces can straighten your teeth at home.
Medically Reviewed by
Dr. Kishor Kumar Pradhan